Tuesday 27 December 2011

"I am not a myth"





From TriBaby website:
"Was there anyone as glamorous as Marlene Dietrich? Indeed, the very word may have been invented for her. Perhaps she really was nothing more than a figment of our collective imaginations, an impossible creature with a husky voice, fabulous legs, astonishing eyebrows, and a way with a cigarette that could make the thing actually seem alluring.

Indeed, Dietrich may have been no more than a figment of her own imagination. As her daughter Maria Riva revealed after the legend's death, Dietrich often spoke of herself in the third person, saying things like, "Oh, Dietrich would never wear that hat," or "That is how Dietrich would do it." She worked hard all her life to cultivate that aura of perfection and glamour, playing a perpetual part any time she was in the public eye.

The contradictions in her personality seemed to confound all the laws of man and nature at once. She could look glamorous whether in a fabulous Travis Banton confection or in full male formal dress. She was at once a prima donna full of attitude, and an extremely disciplined, hard worker on the set. Though she remained married to Rudolf Sieber her entire life, the stories of her legions of lovers of both sexes are legendary. And though one might think of her as no more than a Hollywood cream puff, she spent several years of World War II in great danger in Africa and Europe entertaining the troops extremely close to the front.

"Dietrich" was not a real person at all, but a lifelong work of art cultivated by one Maria Magdalena Dietrich, born in Berlin in December, 1901, and maintained right up until her death in May, 1992. Admire not the person she was, but the illusion she created."














"America took me into her bosom when there was no longer a country worthy of the name, but in my heart I am German - German in my soul."

"Darling, the legs aren't so beautiful, I just know what to do with them."

"Glamour is what I sell, it's my stock in trade."

"I dress for the image. Not for myself, not for the public, not for fashion, not for men."

"I am not a myth."


Marlene Dietrich (27th December 1901 – 6th May 1992)

4 comments:

  1. Great pics of a legendary broad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She apparently "collected some 15,000 pictures of herself, almost all of which were created under her supervision and still in excellent condition today" - check out Marlene: A Legend in Photographs for the whole story. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible pics of one of the most photogenic woman of all times!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]