Wednesday 29 February 2012

"I was the instrument that I must care for"













"A violinist had a violin, a painter his palette. All I had was myself. I was the instrument that I must care for."

"Beautiful? It's all a question of luck. I was born with good legs. As for the rest... beautiful, no. Amusing, yes."

"I like Frenchmen very much, because even when they insult you they do it so nicely."

"I improvised, crazed by the music. . . . Even my teeth and eyes burned with fever. Each time I leaped I seemed to touch the sky and when I regained earth it seemed to be mine alone."

"I wasn't really naked. I simply didn't have any clothes on."


Josephine Baker (3rd June 1906 – 12th April 1975)

Read my previous blogs about the grand dame over at Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle here and here

4 comments:

  1. Diana Ross famously portrayed Josephine in both her Tony Award winning Broadway and television show "An Evening with Diana Ross". When the show was made into an NBC television special "The Big Event: An Evening with Diana Ross", she further embellished her role as Josephine. She worked for years to make a feature film of her life, but she never got the founding since people believed there was no real interest in Josephine's life! Diana considers it a "lost dream".

    A truly missed opportunity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't comprehend "people believed there was no real interest in Josephine's life" - she was fascinating! Miss Ross would have been perfect... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will always be interest in those were interesting.

    Josephine Baker = FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]