Saturday 14 July 2012

I know all the Lupinos, I go to their beanos



Further to Thursday's blog, I couldn't resist posting more of the genius of Douglas Byng:

Sex Appeal Sarah
[extract]

"When I went to the pictures to act,
I was quite a furore, as they say,
I appeared first as Carmen, but in fact
I was much more "bizarre" than "Bizet".
But the day came for filming the bullfight
I was just doing one of me stunts -
When the juvenile lead pinched me cast-o-nets
I went all hors de combat at once.
But I picked up a picador's spear,
Stabbed him in the bolero and spoilt his career.

I'm Sex-Appeal Sarah, my body gets barer
Each time I appear on the screen.
Oh, I've played such rare pranks with
dear Dougie Fairbanks
Reall risky - but never obscene.
I know all the Lupinos - I go to their beanos -
We start off with cocktails and end up with Enos;
I'm slick Sal, and when I was a gal
I was constant and clever and clean.
I was never de trop - I was pure as the snow -
But I drifted, and so - well, you know what I mean."


As featured on Naughty Nights with Douglas Byng

A favourite of Jessica Mitford, it seems - she chose it in her selection for Desert Island Discs

5 comments:

  1. For MJ and Thombeau... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta very much, Jon!

    This is further encouraging me to read "Bawdy But British!: The Life of Douglas Byng."

    Bawdy But British would have been the title of YOUR autobiography had it not already been taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwaaah! Jx

      PS I always fancied "Look Back in Angora", but that's been taken too...

      Delete
    2. "A Low Life in High Heels" has been taken too.

      *runs to avoid bitch slap*

      Delete
    3. Fairly accurate, actually... Another title that's been bagged, more's the pity, is "At My Mother's Knee...and Other Low Joints". Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]