Saturday 29 June 2013

Gay Senoritas on Pride Day



Gay 'Senoritas' ballet of the minstrel show at the Capitol Theatre, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, April 1931.

The Halifax Daily Star for 27 April 1931, carried this photograph and reported that:

"Here we have the ballet of the minstrel show to be presented at the Capitol Theatre tonight by the Commercial Club of Halifax under the direction of Miss Frances Foster. According to the press agent, these 'girls' will be a riot. They are garbed as senoritas, an old Spanish custom with Commercial Club minstrels. Left to right, they are: Ald. W.E. Donovan, F.G. Balcom, C.E. Dowden, H.M. Laurence, Murray Ryan, W.R. Moore, J.E. Hudson, R.O. Cutler, E.A. Young, W.E. Godding, H. Montgomery."

Ay, Caramba...

Happy Gay Pride!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Gay Pride to you dear!!!! I see it is another low week of gay Pride there. I sure hope you powdered with some Gay Parade? You can always tell when gay pride has been here. When the queen break wind glitter flies everywhere! Now lets have a gin honey and lets us celebrate!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Let's join the conga line... Jx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's rather "Monty-Python-esque" and delightful, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I live in Halifax, I probably know a few of their descendants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to form a new "troupe" of Señoritas, I hope? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]