Monday 2 December 2013

I am not an angel and do not pretend to be













"An opera begins long before the curtain goes up and ends long after it has come down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my life long after I've left the opera house."

"I don't know what happens to me on stage. Something else seems to take over."

"I don't need the money, dear. I work for art."

"I am not an angel and do not pretend to be. That is not one of my roles. But I am not the devil either. I am a woman and a serious artist, and I would like so to be judged."

"When my enemies stop hissing, I shall know I'm slipping."


Maria Callas (2nd December 1923 – 16th September 1977)

Callas sings over at Give 'em the Old Razzle Dazzle.

4 comments:

  1. The word is over used and debased now but She was / is. La Diva

    ReplyDelete
  2. La firmament grec de La Callas l'a bien servie. *d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]